Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Father

Found this old Polaroid of my Dad, sent to me while I was in Viet Nam (1966 or so). Mom must have taken it. He is standing in front of a couple-three oak-studded acres on the Sacramento River up by Anderson (near Redding) that he bought maybe for retirement. He was about 61 in this photo, born in 1905; a good man and I wish I had gotten to know him better - 39 years separated us and our differences seemed big at the time (in retrospect, they weren't - we both had a lot to learn). The property is long gone, but I thought I'd take a new picture - me at the gate of the place Melina and I have here in Mariposa... kind of an homage. So, here's to you, Pop, I miss you, I love you. 
Note: The Polaroid photo (top) has the typical fuzziness (they didn't put very good lenses on their consumer products).
Post note: Dad hunted the Calochortus (Mariposa Lilly) in its many forms, taking photos.  Here in Mariposa we will be planting a little garden of Calochortus, in honor of my father and his fondness for Mariposa lillies.

3 comments:

  1. couple of handsome guys. would have liked to have met your father. so happy i met you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa was pretty cool. He gardened, went wildflower hunting, drew flowers, built things really well, which must be genetic, because Fred is the same way. I spent more one on one time with Grandma, but Grandpa was always there. He was pretty mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your comment, I'm sure he would, too.

    ReplyDelete